Me escaping from the patriarchy
Me escaping from the patriarchy
The leading Republican candidate in retiring Rep. Michele Bachmann’s congressional district denies climate science, is virulently anti-gay, and sponsored everything from voter ID legislation to a minimum wage law repeal. No wonder he’s already being labeled “Michele Bachmann 2.0.” Former Minnesota State Rep. Tom Emmer (R) was the first candidate to step up when Bachmann […]
The leading Republican candidate in retiring Rep. Michele Bachmann’s congressional district denies climate science, is virulently anti-gay, and sponsored everything from voter ID legislation to a minimum wage law repeal. No wonder he’s already being labeled “Michele Bachmann 2.0.”
Former Minnesota State Rep. Tom Emmer (R) was the first candidate to step up when Bachmann announced last month that she would be retiring from representing the state’s 6th congressional district at the end of her term. He is best known for unsuccessfully running for Governor in 2010, coming close enough to Democratic candidate and now-Governor Mark Dayton (D) to trigger a recount.
Here are a few things voters should know about Tom Emmer:
1. He opposed anti-bullying legislation because he doesn’t “want the government doing that for us.” Emmer voted against the Safe Schools for All bill, which included sexual orientation among fourteen different characteristics, and would have introduced consistent anti-bullying policies and mandated training for teachers and staff. During his 2010 campaign, he promised to veto it if it were to come across his desk as Governor, saying, “it’s up to the parents, Jacquie and I, to educate our children, how they handle that situation. We’re the ones who have to be the front line of defense for our children. I don’t want the government doing that for us.” The bill was proposed after a rash of gay teens in Minnesota committing suicide. Emmer has adopted virulently anti-gay positions throughout his political career.
2. He thinks waiters make too much, proposed cutting their minimum wage. At a campaign stop in 2010, Emmer said he had heard from local restaurant owners that “there are some people earning over $100,000 a year, more than the very people providing the jobs and investing not only their life savings but their families’ future.” He suggested that bartenders, servers, and other hospitality workers should get a “tip credit,” which would functionally lower their minimum wage. Although Minnesota is one of the only states that does not follow the federal minimum wage for tip-earners of $2.13 (it instead requires tip-earners be paid at least $5.25 hourly), the average food or beverage service worker earned an average of only $10.45 an hour in 2010. Emmer introduced an amendment that would have eliminated the state’s minimum wage laws altogether in 2005.
3. He was one of the first conservatives pushing unconstitutional nullification bills to undermine Obamacare. Even before healthcare legislation passed in Congress, Emmer was making the rounds on Fox News, pushing the idea that any form of federal healthcare program would be unconstitutional. In October 2009, he proposed a “Health Care Freedom Act” that would define Minnesotans as “sovereign individuals” in an attempt to prevent federal law or state law from affecting the health insurance of any individual. Soon after the Affordable Care Act passed, Emmer began advocating nullification of federal laws, an unconstitutional theory used by advocates of slavery before the Civil War, in his state.
4. He denies climate science is real. In addition to calling green jobs a “fancy marketing campaign“, pledging to withdraw Minnesota from a regional climate pact, and telling supporters of the EPA to vote against him, Emmer has publicly denied climate science, saying, “the empirical evidence does not support this and the other reps that have talked. There is another side. Just because we make these chambers available to Will Steger and the crowd that wants to rely on Al Gore’s climate porn doesn’t mean that that’s the way it is. … Folks, there is another side.”
Emmer’s views keep him in good company in the 6th district – Michelle Bachmann is also a climate denier.
5. He wanted to make English the official state language because of the supposed high cost of translating. In 2008, Emmer co-sponsored a bill that would have made English the official state language of Minnesota, in addition to imposing strict immigration status checks for renters and buyers of homes. The Star Tribune asked him about his support of the language component of the bill two years later, reporting, “Emmer said he co-sponsored the 2008 measure because his home county said the cost of producing signs in multiple languages ‘was killing them.’”
Emmer has also sponsored legislation that would have, if passed, imposed sweeping and restrictive voter ID laws in Minnesota, asserted that there is “no constitutional right to abortion“, and allowed for forced castration of sex offenders.
Wow, it’s hard to tell which of these is the most egregious. Proposing a cut to waiter pay is pretty uniquely awful.
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS GIFSET
Cathy Brennan, radical “feminist” terrorist, has set her sights on a young black activist in Baltimore County, MD. Phylicia Sampson is being taken to court by Brennan, a notorious harasser of trans women and their supporters. Sampson is a recent college grad with few resources, no car and no way to fight back without your help.
As a community, we’ve suffered Brennan’s assaults for a long time—her blog is the best known for outing trans women’s personal information. She believes trans women are men who are infiltrating the feminist community and expends her resources fighting them. The idea that she is now taking her harassment to a legal venue is horrifying. That she has selected a young black woman with few resources to fight back is repugnant.
We can’t let Cathy Brennan get away with this! Share Phylicia’s campaign on Facebook, twitter, tumblr and instagram. Here are some things you can do TODAY to help:
- Tell your friends why it is important that they donate to this campaign.
- Donate what you can.
- Write to your favorite feminist blog and ask them to cover this campaign
SUPER. DUPER. SIGNAL BOOST Y’ALL.
Signal boost the hell out of this!
I additionally hate Marilyn Manson for several reasons. (Although he was, I am not exaggerating, fucking unavoidable in the 1990s in Ohio; he was the “cool underground band” people snuck off to Akron to see, and then he was the vaguely-defined-hometown boy, and of course Beefy McRageFarts formed…
Rep. Michael Burgess (R-TX), a former OB/GYN, urged for an abortion ban even earlier than 20 weeks. Why? Because he’s seen male fetuses masturbate at 15 weeks. (Not sure why female fetuses don’t masturbate [or maybe they dont matter], but whatever.)
you just can’t make this shit up. #GOPScience: Where masturbating male fetuses have more rights than women and people who can get pregnant.
Eddie Izzard [Stripped] | Terms & Conditions
ENDA now has more co-sponsors than “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal legislation had in 2010.
Good Secret Bad Secret - Girls Handclapping Song! (by createfuturegood)
Protect girls against abuse
Get it girls! Let em know.
Go on girls. If this ain’t revolutionary then idk what is!
*Cries* my heart
I wish I had heard this when I was younger. This is brilliant. Must show little sisters now. Protect girls against abuse.
OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED
No. not acceptable. I need my CapriSun in a foil pouch or not at all.
I’d be down with this if it was a huge, family-sized pouch. With like five straw-holes, and everybody in the family could have their own super long straw and they could all drink from it at the same time.
Yeah, that would be good.
fireflies in timelapse by
Oh my god, so perfect.
Reblagz by request.
think HARD about that: not only did they white-wash Katniss, they EXPLICITLY PROHIBITED WoC TO AUDITION FOR THE ROLE OF KATNISS. Smells like blatant racism.
Can we focus on that last part? B/c white people will always come up with “well the white actor/actress was just the best one to audtition.” Well, yeah if that’s ONLY who auditioned.
They’re theory of white actors/actresses being better doesn’t hold up if no one else if given the opportunity to even audition.